java again really

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 17:53:41 UTC 2008

Peter Boy wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 04.01.2008, 20:41 -0600 schrieb Les Mikesell:
>> Do you mean there is a java-sun-compat package included in the fedora
>> repository or some part of the jpackage repository that is documented as
>> working with F7 and F8?
>
> Fedora never included a java-sun-compat package but a jpackage-util
> which installs a basic infrastructure for java according to the
> jpackage.org specification.

But jpackage.org has nothing documented as working on anything newer
than FC6.

> It is (and was since Fedora 1) up to the user or sysadmin to decide,
> - either to download java-1.x.x-sun-compat-1.x.x.y-zjpp.i[nnn}.rpm from
> jpackage.org and the Sun java rpm from Sun and install both
>
> - or to download java-1.x.x-sun-1.x.x.y-zjpp.nosrc.rpm and the shell
> script based Sun Java distribution from Sun, build their own rpm and
> install that.

And jpackage.org supplied instructions and rpms for doing this up
through FC6.

> This principle was introduced with Red Hat Linux 8 or 9, had been taken
> over into Fedora and has been continuously improved over the various
> Fedora versions (e.g. introducing a yum repository as part of
> jpackage.org).

And does not mention F7/F8, although some of the packages might still work.

> So your information in your posting I refer to, as well as in several of
> your previous postings is simply wrong and continually spreading out
> wrong information is rather awkward.

Please supply links to the jpackage instructions for F7 or F8.  If  they
exist, I have been unable to find them.  Or if you see java-sun-compat
in this list that fedora packagers are taking over, please point it out:
  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JavaPackagingStatus.

I'd like to be wrong about this, but it looks like jpackage.org is no
longer providing current fedora-compatible packages, or at least not
documenting them as such, and unlike some of the other packages that
have been incorporated directly into the fedora repository,
java-sun-compat is clearly missing.  I'm not running anything newer than
FC6 myself (I was waiting for jpackage.org to catch up...) so maybe I've
overlooked something.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com