some simple questions on VNC

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 21:30:19 UTC 2008

John Summerfield wrote:
> Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>>> The 58xx ports fire up a java version of the VNC viewer so you can
>>> use VNC inside a web browser.
>>
>> um ... so the 58xx ports are listening specifically only for
>> java-based VNC viewers that are being invoked from within a browser?
> No, it's a java-implemented http proxy.
> It's in the docs.

I'd call it an http server that offers to download a java applet that
runs on the client - it doesn't need java on the server.

Is there a 'complete' guide to VNC anyhere?  Other ways of running it
include the X module that serves connections to the local console screen
and letting xinetd start login sessions/desktops on demand as
implemented in the vncts package.  Are there more?

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com