java again really

David Jansen jansen at strw.leidenuniv.nl
Wed Jan 9 17:13:06 UTC 2008

As others have pointed out, the jpackage rpms still work as they did in
earlier versions of Fedora. Actually, http://www.jpackage.org/yum.php
even mentions Fedora 7 (but not 8). So there is no reason to believe
that Fedora support has stopped at FC6.
What is going on, is that a lot of packages that used to be on
jpackage.org are now included in Fedora, so maybe you will find fewer
fedora 7 rpms on jpackage than FC6 rpms, but that is because they have
moved, not because cooperation has stopped or any such complot.

The "nosrc" rpms to rebuild an actual Sun Java RPM have never really
belonged to a specific fedora version. Which makes sense, since Sun
releases "generic" Linux binaries of their Java products, not tied to
any specific distribution.
See http://www.jpackage.org/browser/rpm.php?jppversion=1.7&id=7539 for
the current nosrc rpm, and see http://www.jpackage.org/nosrc.php
for the build instructions.

Actually, a lot of information on how to build and install stuff like
Java is in www.fedorafaq.org . (and I still don't understand why a lot
of good resources such as this unofficial FAQ, the Fedora Unity respins
etc are not linked from the fedoraproject website. it might make life so
much easier for new users if they could find answers. Or maybe the links
are there and I haven'f found them yet...)

David Jansen (trying to catch up on the mail that accumulated over the
holidays...)