Google Earth

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Fri Jan 11 01:29:54 UTC 2008

Brian Gaynor wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 16:11 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> Sjoerd Mullender wrote:

>>> I have seen this happen.  The problem was, the nVidia GL library was
>>> overwritten by the system GL library causing a fatal (for X)
>>> incompatibility as soon as GL was touched by the X server (e.g. when
>>> running googleearth of glxinfo).  This can happen when the Fedora GL
>>> library is upgraded or reinstalled after the nVidia driver was
>>> installed.  This can happen when you use the nVidia installer, but not
>>> when you use a packaged RPM (I recommend freshrpms.net since it does
>>> not need to be updated when there is a kernel update).
>>>

>>     Since A. I just got a new kernel in F7 as we write, and B. I can't
>> can't get anything from freshrpms.net because I do not know how to. C.
>> would a rpm there work on F7?
>>
>> Karl
>>

> >From the freshrpms.net home page:
>
> "The easiest way to install freshrpms.net packages is to click here from
> within firefox, choose to open with Software Installer (the default)
> then go to Add/Remove Software from the main menu, where new
> applications will be available in the list."
>
> Doesn't get much easier than that. I'm a big fan of the DKMS nvidia
> module if you find you have to have the closed source driver.
>
> - Brian

    Well of course I have the Nvidia driver and have used it on about 5
or 6 new kernels with success. But I didn't know I should tell it not to
update gtk stuff. I will try it tonight when this F7 comes up stupid
without a good kernel driver. But this time I will make sure all we do
is make a new kernel driver. See what happens as I drop back to init 3
without any  GUI running.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI