Where is boot loader installed in a RAID1 configuration?

Erik P. Olsen erik at epo.dk
Sat Jan 12 20:18:10 UTC 2008

I have at the moment two IDE hard drives with various systems installed. For my
next system I have purchased two SATA drives and a RocketRaid 1720 controller in
order to install Fedora 7 on a RAID1 configuration. The SATA disks are
physically installed and hardware configured as wanted and I now have following
three drives: sda which is the RAID1 disks and sdb and sdc being the two IDE
disks. The software installed on the IDE drives should remain untouched.

Installation of Fedora 7 on sda proceeds seemingly without problems. I designate
sda to be boot device and partition it according to my planned layout; and this
works fine. However, when I come to installing the boot loader it insists on
placing it on sdb. I dare not continue because I don't like if it overwrites
areas my old drives. I would prefer to have it on the RAID1 drive, which is sda,
but don't see how I can do that. Is it at all possible? And how do I prevent it
from overwriting stuff on my old drives? If I physically disconnect the two IDE
drives during the installation, where will the boot loader then be located?

Hope someone can shed some light into this,
Thanks in advance,