Error help: There is no default action associated with this location

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Jan 13 05:28:09 UTC 2008

Tom McQ wrote:
> Jim,
>
> Thank you for the response. I think the bug you pointed out is unrelated to my problem but it was worth a try. When I execute the gnomevfs-ls command on a directory, including "file:///home/tom", it works fine and displays my home directory contents.
>
> I'm pretty certain my problem has something to do with URL registration used by the GNOME "Places" menu. The error message sounds like some GNOME main-menu application tries to figure out what to do with a "file:" URL, and doesn't know that it should launch Nautilus. If I execute "nautilus file:///home/tom" from the command line, Nautilus launches fine.
>
> My solution might be as simple as figuring out where the GNOME launcher associates URLs with applications. I have looked around for how to re-associate Nautilus with the file: protocol, but so far no luck. I have also had no luck figuring out what went wrong -- what overwrote whatever used to exist -- and if there is an easy way to return to the status quo ante.
>
> -Tom
>
> P.S.
>
> Sorry for the delayed response. My spam filter grabbed your email and just 3 others from fedora-list and decided they were spam.

I noticed that when I send messages to other accounts related to
Outlook, including URLs in messages usually flags a spam. Maybe the URL
inclusion flagged the message as spam.

Anyway, a google search for MIME types in nautilus flagged a package
called shared-mime-info. Maybe the file is
/usr/share/pkgconfig/shared-mime-info.pc
I'm not sure where the info actually is located.

I usually add MIME types by right clicking on the file type highlighted
and add an associated application within nautilus. It seems to do the
trick for me. For locations, it probably would not work. Then again!

Jim

--
diplomacy, n:
	Lying in state.