TV out through VGA? ATI X1400 with fglrx driver

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 16:18:58 UTC 2008

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 / E1505 laptop with an ATI X1400 graphics
card. I use the fglrx driver as I run Compiz-Fusion, currently under
both Fedora Core 6 and Ubuntu 7.04. The hardware has both VGA and
S-video outputs. In the past (I don't remember under what distro or
drivers, I've played around too much) I have successfully gotten video
out of the VGA to a CRT monitor, but never S-Video to a television.

I am considering purchasing a VGA-to-RCA adaptor, such as one of these two:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-5M-HIGH-QUALITY-VGA-MALE-TO-RGB-COMPONENT-CABLE_W0QQitemZ190189958468QQihZ009QQcategoryZ3704QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/VGA-To-S-VIDEO-RCA-Composite-Adapter-Connector-Cable-PC_W0QQitemZ190188539672QQihZ009QQcategoryZ31531QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

The first one does not list any prerequisites, however the second one says this:
"Notes: the VGA must has TV out directly through VGA port function.
Please refer VGA card's user manual (not included) before you use."

Of course, the seller, nor ATI, are very helpful in the manner. What
do the experienced folk here think? I express my gratitude in advance
for any advice.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il