mplayer won't start

Boris Glawe public at boris-glawe.de
Sun Jan 13 14:51:53 UTC 2008

Oliver Ruebenacker schrieb:
>      Dear friends,
>
>   I installed mplayer under Fedora 7 with yum and it appears in the
> menu, but when I choose it, it won't start. Something that looks like
> an unusually small dialog box appears and disappears again too quickly
> to see anything.
>
>   How can I find out what is wrong? Is there a place for error messages?
>
>   I already checked /var/log/messages, but found nothing.
>
>      Take care
>      Oliver

 mplayer needs an arguement  - at list a file that it should play!

It thus does not make sense, that there's an entry in the menu bar. It
will fail to start by definition.

Try this:
# mplayer /home/yourname/yourmediafile.mpg

and it will work:

Btw.: If you want to have most codecs available on the market visit this
page:

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/

and download this file:
http://www3.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/all-20071007.tar.bz2

unzip this file with
tar fxj all-20071007.tar.bz2

and move all codec files to /usr/lib/codecs

That's all
greets Boris