That ole Livna Problem/That ole VLC Problem

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu Jan 17 21:28:09 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> "mentioned here" == a few hundred people understand it - maybe...
>> Well, it is sort of like customizing your car.
>
> If you start with the realization that the manufacturer omits vital
> parts and you are required to customize to have something useful.
You could also start with the realization that the car is "working as
designed".  It is useful as designed and does was intended to do.  Just
not what you want to do....go 160mph (for example).

>>> Can you point to the documentation that explains that? It's broken
>>> as designed.
>>>
>> I think it is more of a common sense type of thing.  Anyone can start
>> their own 3rd party repository.
>
> The 3rd parties in question existed before the fedora repos.
So what?

The 3rd party repos were incompatible prior to fedora.

>> You or I could start our own.  But it is just like any other 3rd
>> party enterprise.  It is not expected, or mandated that they work
>> together.
>
> Not expected to work togther...  Yes that's a good description.
>
>> If you think they should...then you are operating under a flawed
>> assumption.
>
> I think we agree that the design is wrong.
I think you should refrain from concluding what you think I think.
FWIW, I have no idea what "design" you are talking about.  AFAIK, there
is no "design" that 3rd party repo creators are supposed to follow to
ensure they are compatible.

--
There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its hands.