X-apps UI font is too big after installing FC8

Henrik Frisk frisk.h at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 15:11:08 UTC 2008

2008/1/21 Todd Zullinger <tmz at pobox.com>:

> Henrik Frisk wrote:
> > I just upgraded my system from FC5 to FC8 (fresh install). Though it
> > looks fantastic and works great so far, I have a small issue with
> > the UI font of some (X)applications. The UI font in emacs, gv,
> > scribus, xdvi, xpdf etc is too big. It's obviously a missing font or
> > similar, but I can't seem to get around it. Any help would be
> > appreciated.
>
> Check the DPI setting.  It used to be hardcoded at 96 DPI in Gnome,
> but with the current upstream release it is now determined from your
> monotor size (and/or some other data).  Open System -> Preferences ->
> Look and Feel -> Appearance.  Then, on the Fonts tab, select the
> Details button and check/adjust the resolution and see if that helps.

Thanks for the reply. I've been there but as far as I can tell, this affects
the font size of the Desktop UI . My issue is only with  some applications.
I'm not a GUI wizard, but I think that applications that use its own, or
gnome's GUI widgets for dialogs etc look good, whereas apps that rely on
xorg have to large font sizes (tab description overflow the size of the tab
etc.). I may be completely wrong about this though. Bottom line is ooffice
and firefox looks good, gv looks bad (actually, not bad, just big). The
emacs UI I resolved by setting the default font to the terminus font but I
have to have to do that for all apps for which this is an issue.