F8 is a problem

Aldo Foot lunixer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 02:25:48 UTC 2008

On Jan 21, 2008 5:49 PM, Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 02:23:11 +0100
> Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > It is more important
> > to teach where to find the documentation.
>
> As I mentioned before, I find it quite .... unusual that someone who
> claims to
> have a Ph.D. degree appears to be absolutely incapable of doing the
> simplest
> research, or understanding documentation that contains the information
> that he
> apparently wants but doesn't spell it out explicitly in a step one, step
> two
> manner.
>
> For the benefit of anyone who doesn't know, a Ph.D. is basically a degree
> certifying that the holder is qualified to do research.  In the words of
> someone whose identity I can't recall at the moment, "capable of learning
> what
> nobody yet knows."
>
> So how in the name of the great white whale does someone of Karl's obvious
> limited abilities manage to get a Ph.D.?  Most of the Ph.D.'s that I know,
> including an EE who ultimately decided that he would rather be a plumber,
> are
> among the sharpest folks around and a downright pleasure and privilege to
> interact with.
>
> --
>
> --

I think a possible explanation is that there a different learning styles.
For instance Visual
Spatial Learners learn by visualization and not by reading. For some folks
reading is quite
a chore. Some people "see things in their heads" and reading requires some
mental
translation.
Think of the student in a classroom who's watching squirrels out the window
ten minutes into lecture. But once he goes to the physics lab. he's
unstoppable. I think
Einstein himself had this sort of problem...

~af