Windows Network

Aldo Foot lunixer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 20:06:21 UTC 2008

2008/1/22 max bianco <maximilianbianco at gmail.com>:

> > working.
> > workgroup),

> > > Try connecting to one of the machines by IP address. Do this:
> > >
> > > Places>Connect to Server>   When the dialog box pops up change the
> > service
> > > type to Windows Share and on the line below that where it says server
> > , enter
> > > the IP address of the XP box. Then hit connect. When prompted for
> > login
> > > credentials, you must use a user name and password that have an
> > account on
> > > the local machine you are connecting to.
> > >
> > This works, as well as
> > smbclient -L //  -I
> > That way I need the ip address.
>

> So you can connect that way?
>

> > By the way, something seems wrong with my linux machine.
> > If I do ping homere (or homere.  and the name of the network) it does
> > not work from the Linux, but works very well from a XP machine !!!
> > homere is a XP machine.
>

> Have you looked up Samba using google?Have you read any of the
> information?
> try pinging the machine by  IP  not name. Does this work?
>
> Open the NFS4 port on the firewall. You may need to restart the firewall
> service if you do this. Always when playing with the firewall, if opening a
> port does not work, then first restart the service, if that does not do it
> then go back and close the open port. Do not leave unnecessary ports open at
> any time. Google is your friend!!
>
> -Max

Dupre - try informing yourself as max pointed out.
This samba stuff is not a 5min deal if you don't have enough information.

On the linux machine the firewall could be a probable problem, you may need
to play with the iptables command and check/open access to your samba
client. I'm not sure how much security is important to you.

As other have said, exercise your Google-ing skills.

~af