OT: unathorized network user.

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Jan 24 01:24:09 UTC 2008

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Frank Cox wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 21:33:06 +0900
>> John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
>>
>>>  At least, blacklist his MAC. It's not much protection, but it will
>>> stop the ignorant.
>>
>> I set up a TrendNet wireless router the other day that had a setting for
>> entering authorized MAC addresses.  I assumed that meant it would only
>> allow MAC
>> addresses on that list to  connect and anything else would be ignored.
>>
> Some routers will limit connections to specific MAC addresses if you
> enable that. Others will let you blacklist specific MAC addresses. Some
> offer both options. (You may only be able to use one option at a time.)
> Either method can limit accidental connections, but will not do much to
> stop a deliberate connection attempt. It is too easy to change the MAC
> address you are using. Then again, WEP does not protect your network all
> that well either.

WEP's good for about two minutes these days.
the ifconfig seems able to set the hw address. I've not tried this, and
I don't know whether it extends to wireless.

Certainly, I could set the MAC address in OS/2. For use I did it on a
SUN Lunchbox - had to, its battery was flat.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait