OT: unathorized network user.

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Jan 24 16:07:48 UTC 2008

Ed Greshko wrote:

> What I find quite "interesting" was that this thread started out by the
> OP in an apartment complex wanting to keep one person off his network.
> I kind of doubt that he has military secrets or corporate information on
> his system such that anyone would make elaborate attempts to access his
> network.
>
> He has got one person that seems rather clueless since he leaves his
> system wide open to be trashed...so he isn't a rocket scientist.
>
> And everyone is running around spending hours and hours to educate the
> OP on how to build their version of a maximum security prison when all
> he needs is a simple pad lock on his door.
>
> I've seen enough paranoia here to last a life time.

Well, threads tend to evolve. The OP was given an answer to his
problem, but was also told about the limits of that answer. From
there the thread evolved into a more general discussion of wireless
security.

When you are talking about wireless security, it is not just the
information on your local network that valuable. The network
connection itself is also valuable. This is especially true if the
attacker wants to do things that they do not want traced back to
them. If they use your connection to send out SPAM, you stand a good
chance of having to prove to your ISP that you did not do it. If
they use it to break into another system, you may end up explaining
it to the police, or having to defent yourself in court. If it is
someone that lives close enough to use your connection for long
periods, they may use it for file sharing. This is especially true
if you have not changed your routers password, or have UPnP enabled
on the router.

How much security is right for you depends on your needs. But
knowing the different options, and how well they protect you is
worth knowing. A person that lives in the country, and has a router
that only covers their property probably does not need as much
security as someone that lives in an apartment building. In the
first case, anyone that can tap into your network is going to be
conspicuous. In an apartment building, it is a different story.
There are a lot of levels of risk between these cases, but this
gives you an idea.

Mikkel