Maintaining a local yum repository

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Jan 26 20:07:24 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 12:32:55 -0600,
  Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 26, 2008 10:25 AM, Derek Tattersall <tatters at newsguy.com> wrote:
>
> It would. I'm looking to set this up properly myself. Haven't recently
> setup a mirror for that very purpose.
>
> > I have looked at the howto at www.howtoforge.com, and I am not really
> > happy with the method described there. It involves picking a particular
> > mirror and using rsync to keep the local repository up to date.
>
> That's they properly way.

I keep local copies of repositories. I hand carry stuff from work (where
I can download stuff at reasonable speeds) to home.

Currently I am using lftp to do the mirroring.

One thing you need to be aware of is that occasionally mirrors get part
of an update. If you try to do a yum update in that situation it should
fail. Normally just waiting will fix the problem.