OT: unathorized network user.

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Jan 27 18:38:09 UTC 2008

Jacques B. wrote:
>> Now if only I could get it to actually mail me it's logged data.  I told
>> it to do so, but that doesn't work and I can't find the log files except
>> via the browser screen?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Bob Goodwin
>
> I have the same problem.  My ISP requires that a user sending mail
> authenticates first (same username & password as when retrieving POP
> mail).  I suspect this is to prevent someone from using their SMTP
> server anonymously to relay spam.  Unfortunately my router log
> settings only have a field for the SMTP server and the email account.
> It doesn't allow me to enter a username & password.  It also does not
> have an option to send the logs to a central logging server.
>
> I checked the manufacturer's web site and I have the latest firmware
> that they provide.  And since it's a few years old, I don't foresee
> them releasing any new firmware as it's no doubt an end of life
> product.  So my options are to either log onto it regularly and use
> the option to save the logs locally (onto the machine I'm using to
> access the router) and then clear the logs, or nothing at all (or go
> buy a new one that allows you to enter a username & password along
> with the SMTP server).  I was wondering if I would be able to set up
> an SMTP server on my local machine and then put that machine's
> internal IP for the SMTP server setting on the router and see if that
> works.  But I really don't have the time to fuss with that for a home
> environment.
>
> Sounds like you are in the same situation as me.
>
> Jacques B.

If you enable the mail server on your Linux box, you can have it
receive the mail from your router, and either put it in a local mail
box, or forward it to your ISP. (The default setup will only receive
  mail from localhost, and does not know how to connect to your ISP.)

I am kind of surprised that your ISP will not accept an e-mail to an
"local" address from a machine on its network. I can see it if you
were trying to relay mail through the server, or if your IP was on
one of the SPAM lists. In other words, I would expect it to handle
the mail just as it does mail from another mail server that is
addressed to one of its users.

Mikkel