dhcpd mystery

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Jan 29 23:04:47 UTC 2008

Tim wrote:

> Reminds me of the haggling scene in The Life of Brian...  2 minutes for
> this lease?  You must be mad...
>
> But I can see why they'd set short ones for games, people expect games
> to just plug in and start working.  Having to put up with long delays
> while changes take place would be untenable, particularly with
> multi-machine network gaming.  But if you had a network where the only
> thing was changing was that one Wii, and you didn't want it doing it
> that rapidly, you'd set the servers minimum lease time to be longer, and
> the Wii would have to put up with a longer lease time.

Leases should not be renewed too often; any renewal process takes more
time than not renewing.

In an office where laptops may come and go (but always the same ones) I
figure one day is fine, they'll probably not renew during a working day,
but are required to next day.

In the ordinary course of events, everyone gets the same IP address each
time.

For PXE I might give a short lease, it's only going to run for a few
seconds, and Anaconda maybe an hour or so.

I do give different answers, depending on who's asking.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait