setting preferences globally?

francis keyes fkeymo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 17:30:09 UTC 2008

Hi All,

We're using Gnome.  Sabayon, sadly, is a good idea but didn't work.
I solved the problem of setting Gnome preferences globally by doing the
following:

1.  create a new user testuser and set up that user's Gnome profile the way
I want it.
2.  chmod -R a+rwx /home/testuser/.gconf*
3.  mkdir /UNIVERSAL_CONFIGS
4.  cp -r /home/testuser/.gconf* /UNIVERSAL_CONFIGS
5.  rm -rf /home/*/.gconf*
6.  create a little shell script called cpmult to copy the new config files
to everyone's home directory:

#!/bin/sh
for i in $(ls /home);
do cp -rfpv /UNIVERSAL_CONFIGS/.gconf* /home/$i;
done;

This is pretty round-about but it worked.  I'm really surprised Gnome
doesn't have this functionality built in.