no more icq?

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Tue Jul 1 17:19:03 UTC 2008

David Jansen wrote:
> Today pidgin gave me an error when trying to connect to icq:
>   The client version you are using is too old.
>   Please upgrade at http://pidgin.im/
> I'm running Fedora 9 fully updated, pidgin 2.4.2-1.fc9
>
> Searching for this message, it seems it's not just Fedora and not just
> pidgin, but most/all Linux icq clients.
> E.g http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=846279
>
> Does anyone know more of this issue? I guess I'll have to do without icq
> for a while then....

I've reported it to both Pidgin and KDE (kopete).  They're all VERY
aware of it (kopete has at least 220 reports of it).

BTW, KDE does claim that the KDE4 version of Kopete works correctly.
I can't confirm as I don't run F9/KDE4 (and won't until F9 gets a bit
more stable).
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                       rps2 at nerd.com -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc.                                           -
-             To iterate is human, to recurse, divine.               -