can burn cds but not dvds on F8

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Jul 1 17:47:02 UTC 2008

Globe Trotter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using cdrecord on F8, wodim:1.1.6-6.fc8
>
> I have been having a strange problem using my cd/dvdwriter. So, I use the following:
>
> cdrecord -v -eject speed=24 dev=/dev/scd1 Fedora-9-i686-Live.iso
>
>       which works just fine when writing to a CD-R.
>
>       However, the same command using
>
> cdrecord -v -eject speed=24 dev=/dev/scd1 Fedora-9-i386-DVD-iso
>
>      does not. Instead, it produces the following:
>

> wodim: No write mode specified.
> wodim: Asuming -tao mode.
> wodim: Future versions of wodim may have different drive dependent defaults.

First problem, note that although you requested cdrecord you actually
got a forked and hacked version called "wodim," based on an old and
obsolete version of cdrecord. It is linked as cdrecord to make you think
you have the real thing, but you don't.

Your choices are these:
  (a) use growisofs
  (b) download and compile real cdrecord from
      ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/
  (c) use cdrskin

The (b) option will install in /opt/schily/bin, and requires running as
root or setuid root, because the program uses vendor-specific commands
where needed and the kernel blocks them. I install the real cdrecord as
CDrecord, in /usr/local/bin, setuid root. That reminds me it's not the
Fedora hack.

I find (a) easier to use in many cases, and (b) to work with a few more
burners. I only put (c) last because I haven't used it much, since only
cdrecord supports the features needed to burn SVCD video disks.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>