Double checking grub-install -- revisited ??

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 15:32:33 UTC 2008

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 10:43:04 -0400, William Case wrote:

> Hi;
>
> I have started this thread again as a new thread.  The previous "Double
> checking grub-install ??" lead off in all kinds of plausible directions.
> I think I now have more of a focus.
>
> To recap:
>
> I am getting a double Fedora grub splashimage at boot.

What exactly does that mean?
Can you hit keys to enter the first GRUB menu and stop it
from booting any entry automatically?

> I have a dual
> boot system with WindowsXP on sda and Fedora 9 on sdb.

And what does your boot sequence look like? NTLDR on sda?
Do you chainload from sda into sdb?
And what does your sdb GRUB config look like? Is it really
GRUB in the MBR of sdb instead of the boot sector of your
boot/root partition?

> I have some
> experience with installing grub but made a typo type mistake during a
> grub install a month ago and I think (??) that might have been the root
> of my double splashimage problem.
>
> To check the mbr, I ran on /dev/sda:
> ~]# dd bs=512 count=1 if=/dev/sda | od -Ax -tx1z -v
>
> it returned:
> 000160 7c be 85 7d e8 40 00 eb 0e be 8a 7d e8 38 00 eb

What does it print for the line at offset 0?