F8 and a GPS -

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Jul 2 15:43:16 UTC 2008

Gene Heskett wrote:

> My old Garmin 12 (yeah, it has gray hair) has a very dumb serial interface, so I
> have to use an adapter to make it usb.
>
> And there are no intermittent connection problems?
>
> Maybe Prolific has quietly fixed that bug in later issues.  Mine are 5 or 6
> years old, one I got from the shack, and another I got from Wallies a year or
> so later.  Both of them have been problems.  I tried to use one to connect to a
> ups, but every time it dropped the connection, the ups monitor initiated a shut
> down about a second later.  Several times a day.  That, and glancing over at
> the roadnav screen while in western Iowa, and noted it showing me in downtown
> Indianapolis IN for 30 seconds just got to be too much.  I moved one of them to
> the heyu circuit, that gave heyu a tummy ache & it would segfault & die.  I
> asked Charles on the heyu list & he said I wasn't the only one having trouble
> with pl2303's, and he was telling folks to go get the FTDI devices as they
> seemed to Just Work(TM), and they have, very well, as have the Atmel silicon in
> a pair of extension cables I use.

By intermittent connection problems, do you mean that it would drop
characters? One problem I have run into is where the flow control
lines are not implemented. If the hardware and/or application are
set up to use hardware flow control, this can cause data loss. I
don't know if this is the case here.

Mikkel