Double checking grub-install -- revisited ??

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Wed Jul 2 18:33:10 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-02 at 13:15 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> William Case wrote:
> > Hi Mikkel;
> >

> > Yes.  And that was where I was going to leave it.  There was a suggestion
> > on the list that I should file a bug against grub.  I was about to do
> > that this morning and thought that I should check the first 512 bytes of
> > each disk just to be sure.
> >
> > I checked and low and behold I found GRUB listed in the first block
> > (mbr ??) of both disks.  So I thought I should chase that down before I
> > filed an inappropriate bug report.
> >
> This should not be a problem. Because the part of Grub on the MBR
> does not display anything - it just loads the next part of Grub.

I understand the difference between stage1, (stage1_5) and stage2.
> The
> MBR on the second hard disk would not be used unless it was chained
> to by another copy of Grub,

That is the only possiblity left, I would think.  In all the searching I
have done, the video mode problem seems to be with grub2 -- not
grub-0.97-33.fc9.x86_64

> or if you tell the BIOS to boot from the
> second hard drive instead of the first. (Or if you swap the drives,
> or remove the first drive...)
> >
> >> Didn't the problem go away when you turned off the splash screen,
> >> and ran Grub in the text mode?
> >>
> > Yes, it does.  Which makes the problem a Fedora grub problem, not just a
> > grub problem -- I would think.
> >
> Unless Fedora modified Grub to use splash images, it would be a Grub
> problem. It may be specific to your hardware combination.

I believe Fedora has substituted it's own splashimage, at least the
splash image has the Fedora colours and logo + containing the grub menu
selection rectangle .

> Mikkel
> --
Regards Bill;