Double checking grub-install -- revisited ??

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jul 3 03:58:17 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-02 at 10:43 -0400, William Case wrote:
> If it is, how do I remove it (from sdb -- I presume)?

Extra stuff shouldn't matter, if you configure the first thing to take
over.

i.e. I can have ten discs in a box, GRUB on all of them.  But if the
first thing the BIOS does is read GRUB on the first drive, and that then
loads the next stage properly, it doesn't matter what's on any other
drive.

Did you do what I suggested, long ago, issuing manual GRUB commands to
set up your system?  (i.e. NOT using grub-install script).

grub
root (hd.....   (where /boot is)
setup (hd....   (where BIOS starts to boot from)
quit            (write the changes)

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686