Latest updates break graphic start of Fedora

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Thu Jul 3 14:02:46 UTC 2008

> 2008/7/3 Antonio M <antonio.montagnani at gmail.com>:
>> I updated Fedora 9 short ago (my system is fully upand when I
>> re-booted I get the complete graphical procedure and then  a blank
>> screen!!!!
>> I re-booted in runlevel 3 and I issued a startx and everything went
>> fine.
>> What is wrong????
>> I am uing intel graphic driver, with iwl3945 wireless adapter.
>> Furtehrmore, after a while the system freezes.
>> What is going on????
>>
>> --
>> Antonio Montagnani
>> Skype : antoniomontag
>>

> I apologize for so much mistyping :-)
> Anyway I re-booted in runlevel 3 and with kernel 2.6.25.4-30.fc9.i686
> and so far I have not experienced any freezing (I will check again but
> I think that system froze after Firefox start-up)
> For the blank screen issue, what is the component to be filed against?
> Bad news as system froze anyway during firefox use.
> I guess that all issues are strictly connected.

With regard to the "blank screen"...I'm assuming that is happening after
the graphical boot sequence...the one that shows all the various service
starting, etc.

I'm running into the same issue, using an Nvidia card.

It's not an indication that the system is frozen...it's that the system
switched to TTY7, which is where the graphical environment is supposed to
start.

Instead, all I do is press ALT-F1 to get to the first console terminal,
log in, run "sudo init 3" to bring the system to runlevel 3 (text only
mode), then "sudo init 5 ; exit" to bring the system back to runlevel 5
(graphical mode) and then exit that particular shell.

The system then comes up with the login for the GUI desktop.

I do wonder if it has to do with the desktop environment selected.  I run
KDE (don't have Gnome installed)...which desktop environment are you
using?

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org