Fedora 9 Openchrome drv HP w2207h Monitor was: Re: help with setting up graphics

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 3 17:00:21 UTC 2008

--- On Thu, 7/3/08, Beartooth <Beartooth at swva.net> wrote:

> From: Beartooth <Beartooth at swva.net>
> Subject: Re: Fedora 9 Openchrome drv HP w2207h Monitor was: Re: help with setting up graphics
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
> Date: Thursday, July 3, 2008, 9:20 AM
> On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 14:12:29 -0700, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> 	[...]
> > I missed your previous posts, maybe clicking real
> fast, but I have an
> > integrated video in the motherboard and I use
> OpenChrome driver.
> >
> > [olivares at localhost ~]$ su -
> > Password:
> > [root at localhost ~]# lspci
> > 00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. K8M890CE
> [...]
>
> 	Somewhere in there, I did hit a K8M890, but not with the
> CE.
>
> > [...]  What I did to fix my situation was the
> > following:
> >
> > Change inittab:5 to 3, that is from level 5 to level 3
> and then type
> > startx.
>
> 	Hmmm ... With mine, startx as user works *after* I've
> gone
> through all the screens Fedora gives you when it can't
> start X --
> including running what appears identical to the display you
> get with
> system-config-display, and changing both the Settings and
> Hardware
> entries *back* to what I had when I shut down last. Why it
> doesn't keep
> them, as it always used to, I don't know.
>
> 	I couldn't make sense of what I found by searching
> inittab; so
> I'm probably missing something. I'm guessing that I
> could simply edit /
> etc/grub.conf, putting a 3 after the first kernel entry.
> Then it would
> boot into level 3; I could log in as user, and simply
> command startx. Is
> that right?
Well you could do that, but it is easier as root user to do the following:

$ su -
password:
#

open up with an editor of your choice and edit /etc/inittab

change the line "id:5:initdefault:" to "id:3:initdefault:"
and that will start the system in level 3.

[root at localhost ~]# cat /etc/inittab
# inittab is only used by upstart for the default runlevel.
#
# ADDING OTHER CONFIGURATION HERE WILL HAVE NO EFFECT ON YOUR SYSTEM.
#
# System initialization is started by /etc/event.d/rcS
#
# Individual runlevels are started by /etc/event.d/rc[0-6]
#
# Ctrl-Alt-Delete is handled by /etc/event.d/control-alt-delete
#
# Terminal gettys (tty[1-6]) are handled by /etc/event.d/tty[1-6] and
# /etc/event.d/serial
#
# For information on how to write upstart event handlers, or how
# upstart works, see init(8), initctl(8), and events(5).
#
# Default runlevel. The runlevels used are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode
#   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
id:3:initdefault:

> 	Or, as a prior experiment, I could edit the kernel line
> from the
> grub boot-up splash, try init 3 that way, and only actually
> edit
> grub.conf if the experiment succeeds.
>
> > [...]  I also
> > use Slax Linux on this machine and when the machine
> booted and logged in
> > automatically to X, the lines appeared, but then, I
> booted in text mode
> > and created a module for the OpenChrome drivers
> >

> http://www.slax.org/modules.php?action=detail&id=713
>
> 	Now I'm very confused, in part perhaps because I know
> nothing at
> all about slax. It looks to me as if that site is offering
> to download
> something to run under that OS, rather than Fedora. Not the
> case?
Yes, it is a module, that will run under Slax not Fedora.  Fedora has the driver built in.

[root at localhost ~]# rpm -qa xorg-x11-drv-o*
xorg-x11-drv-openchrome-0.2.902-3.fc9.x86_64
[root at localhost ~]#

In slax, it was not there so I downloaded the (OpenChrome)driver and built it using the rules for that system(Slax) and I have the same functionality that I do under Fedora with it.  I just start slax in text mode, load that module referenced above and configure the X window with xconf and then type startx and I have a much better experience than with the default driver loaded there.

In Fedora I tried different things and it did not work for me.  So I tried changing xorg.conf and still the same, I did Xorg -configure as root and changed xorg.conf and still no go.  I went back to the original and started in level 3.  Then I tried to play a movie and the lines that appeared did not appear and it solved the problem for me.

> > I started X with startx and the lines did not appear.
> Problem was
> > solved for me.  I hope that this helps you with your
> problems.
>
> 	I can't imagine why startx would work immediately
> after logging
> in in text mode, without touching anything that affects the
> configuration
> of X; and it seems a strange, roundabout approach. But
> I'm willing to try
> it, if I understand aright what it is I'm to try.
>
> --
> Beartooth Staffwright, PhD, Neo-Redneck Linux Convert
> Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
> nine (count 'em -- nine) different browsers
> Remember I know precious little of what I am talking about.
>
> --

I will attach xorg.conf here in case it might help.

[root at localhost ~]# cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
# Xorg configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "Default Layout"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection