BOINC again !? -- BINGO, BINGO and BINGO

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Fri Jul 4 13:58:05 UTC 2008

Matthew Saltzman wrote:

>> But it seems to me that it should be easy enough to cater for all users,
>> by having a setting in some /etc/NM.conf which will allow NM to start
>> with a specific connection before anyone logs in
>> _if that is what one wants_,
>> or if not requires the user to authenticate before connection.
>

> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/F9Common#networkmanager-static

I read this, and followed the instructions there as well as I could,
creating the following /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
DEVICE=eth1
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
NM_CONTROLLED=Yes
HWADDR=00:02:2D:21:03:C9
IPADDR=192.168.2.19
NETWORK=192.168.2.0
GATEWAY=192.168.2.2
TYPE=Wireless
DHCP_HOSTNAME=mary.gayleard.com
IPV6INIT=no
ESSID=dd-wrt
KEY=<secret>

But the effect of installing this was to stop NM working.
(It had been working perfectly.)
Actually, WiFi appeared to be working from the flashing lights
on my WiFi card, but I got the message "Network unavailable".

In any case, as far as I could see NM (or nm-applet) did not start up
until I logged in, as usual, so even if this had worked
I don't think it would improved matters.

As I said before, the fact that NM starts late does not actually worry me
too much, I just find it puzzling.
To date I have 4 files in /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/
to run various programs (eg NFS mount)
which have to wait for a network connection.