BOINC again !? -- BINGO, BINGO and BINGO

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Fri Jul 4 16:33:06 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 14:58 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>
> >> But it seems to me that it should be easy enough to cater for all users,
> >> by having a setting in some /etc/NM.conf which will allow NM to start
> >> with a specific connection before anyone logs in
> >> _if that is what one wants_,
> >> or if not requires the user to authenticate before connection.
> >

> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/F9Common#networkmanager-static
>
> I read this, and followed the instructions there as well as I could,
> creating the following /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
> DEVICE=eth1
> ONBOOT=yes
> BOOTPROTO=dhcp
> NM_CONTROLLED=Yes
> HWADDR=00:02:2D:21:03:C9
> IPADDR=192.168.2.19
> NETWORK=192.168.2.0
> GATEWAY=192.168.2.2
> TYPE=Wireless
> DHCP_HOSTNAME=mary.gayleard.com
> IPV6INIT=no
> ESSID=dd-wrt
> KEY=<secret>
>
> But the effect of installing this was to stop NM working.
> (It had been working perfectly.)
> Actually, WiFi appeared to be working from the flashing lights
> on my WiFi card, but I got the message "Network unavailable".
>
> In any case, as far as I could see NM (or nm-applet) did not start up
> until I logged in, as usual, so even if this had worked
> I don't think it would improved matters.

First, I haven't actually tired this yet, as I haven't had time to
install F9 on any of my machines.  But I will have a chance sometime
soon, maybe this weekend.

nm-applet doesn't start until you log in, but NetworkManager starts at
boot if it is set to do so.  My understanding is that NM (the service)
should start an interface at boot if ifcfg-<device> is set up correctly.
It's likely that mobile users wouldn't want an interface to come up if
it wasn't under their control (through nm-applet).

> As I said before, the fact that NM starts late does not actually worry me
> too much, I just find it puzzling.
> To date I have 4 files in /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/
> to run various programs (eg NFS mount)
> which have to wait for a network connection.

I think I've seen that the NM service will be set to start earlier in
the boot sequence in a soon-to-be-released update.  The longer-term
solution would be to have services that require a network understand how
to wait for one to come up (through dBus, for example).

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu