Getting the Trust 380 USB 2.0 Space at m to work

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 5 10:30:14 UTC 2008

On Saturday 05 July 2008 11:16:59 Gijs wrote:
> Hey list,
>
> I'm trying to get the 380 USB 2.0 spacec at m to work, but so far I haven't
> had much luck.
> I've never tried getting an USB camera to work before, so I'm probably
> missing out on RPM packages and whatnot.
>
> When I plug the thing in my laptop it gives me the following in dmesg:
> usb 1-5: USB disconnect, address 3
> usb 1-5: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
> usb 1-5: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> usb 1-5: New USB device found, idVendor=0e96, idProduct=c001
> usb 1-5: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
> usb 1-5: Product: USB2.0 PC Camera
> usb 1-5: Manufacturer: APLUX
>
> The output from lsusb is the following:
> Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0e96:c001 Aplux Communications, Ltd TRUST 380
> USB2 SPACEC at M
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
> Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:c00e Logitech, Inc. M-BJ58/M-BJ69 Optical
> Wheel Mouse
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
>
> I've tried running Cheese but the program didn't give me anything. It
> just shows me some test-screen (guess that's the default screen).
>
> Since the webcam is pretty old, I thought that there has to be a driver
> somewhere that supports it. But I really have no idea which driver it
> should be.
> Does anyone have any ideas?
>
>From googling, I'd say your chances are slim.  Take a look, for instance, at
http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/linux-uvc-devel/2006-May/000518.html

Your best bet is to try the gspca driver, as mentioned in the CrystalEye
thread.  The author of that driver is pretty good at getting it to work with
a lot of cameras, but this one sounds so closed that I wouldn't hold my
breath.

Sorry.

The good news is that some *very* cheap webcams (I heard of a £5 one, even)
work with that driver, so it's not worth struggling too much.

Anne