Strange disk behavior with Fedora 9

Tom Browder tom.browder at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 10:31:57 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 8:39 PM, Dan Hensley <dan at dshensley.com> wrote:
> My system has 2 SATA drives that are identical in size.  One of them has
> FC6 on it.  It used to be my primary disk until yesterday, when I did a

You may be running into disk partition labeling problems combined with
problems caused by SATA and BIOS super flexibility through your BIOS.

Try using a live CD of, say, F9, gnoppix, or ubuntu, and check the
labels on the various partitions.

Also make sure you can tell which drive is which because I've seen
/dev/sda and /dev/sdb change from the original setup to the first boot
attempt.

I'll bet that both drives have a label of '/' for the root partition.

I relabel new disks with the 'standard' labels and the old disks with
something like: '/oldroot', '/oldlocal2', etc.  That may eliminate
some problems and allow easy remounting of the old partitions under
your new F9 system (edit /etc/fstab as desired).

By the way, I NEVER let Fedora control my disk partitioning--I always
use the custom layout option.

HTH.

-Tom