Upgrade from F8 to F9 failed with libnss3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Arch Willingham arch at tuparks.com
Sun Jul 6 16:04:46 UTC 2008

I have tried upgrading two different machines from F8 to F9 but both failed. One I tired just upgrading from the DVD and the other I tired the preupgrade route. In each case, the upgrade acts like it worked. Once it was finished and rebooted was were the trouble started. In each case, the gui does not work and almost anything you try to run from the command line gives you this error:

There was a problem importing one of the Python modules required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:

libnss3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Please install a package which provides this module, or verify that the module is installed correctly.

It's possible that the above module doesn't match the current version of Python, which is:
2.5.1 (r251:64863, June 15 2008, 23:59:20)
[GCC 4.1.2 20070925 (Red Hat 4.1.2-33)]

With the first machine, I just did a new install and ignored it but this time I thought I'd like to see if it is fixable.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Arch