noacpi,acpi=off kernel options

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Sun Jul 6 17:01:22 UTC 2008

Mark C. Allman wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 13:01 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
>> It seems with the newer kernels these options no longer work, or there's
>> some syntactical change that is killing my kernels on boot.  I have one
>> server here that just refuses to play nice with ACPI.  It won't cut the
>> fan on/off and it fills up my log and eventually the HDD.  So normally I
>> use something like this:
>>
>> title Fedora (2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686)
>>          root (hd0,2)
>>          kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686 ro
>> root=UUID=9f669bab-aff8-4855-aa5f-c683bf60744a noacpi,acpi=off
>>          initrd /initrd-2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686.img
>>
>> In grub, but for some reason when I boot with this kernel it hang every
>> time until I remove the noacpi,acpi=off options.
>>
>> So, what's the correct option(s) for shutting off acpi on boot now?
>>
>> --
>> Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar
>>

>> Mark Haney
>> Sr. Systems Administrator
>> ERC Broadband
>> (828) 350-2415
>>
>> Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support
>>
> Try it without the "noacpi," string.  Just use "acpi=off".

I just tried that option, after take a few days to hang out with the
family.  And when I use that option on either kernel I have installed,
the system hangs at 'creating /dev'.  When I use noacpi, it boots
properly, but I don't know if that option is being ignored or if it's
the correct one, I'll dig through syslog to find out.