That thread - Any hope of KDE 3.5 in F10?

pds pds100 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 03:48:15 UTC 2008

On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 22:13:01 -0500
Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:

> pds wrote:
>
> > When features are in KDE3.5 work better than the newer version,
> > I'll ask for the older version back anytime.  You want specific
> > examples:
>
> And there are a multitude of specific examples where kde4 is better.
> This is certainly not constructive feedback.  Sigh, if you like kde3,
> fine, stick with Fedora 8.

It's about choice, NOT what is better about KDE4 its more about what
is MISSING! If you can't understand that some users work in a specific
way or need to work in a specific way then.....

There could be other reason why I want or might even need Fedora 9, but
that is my choice. I would like a choice at least better KDE3.5 and KDE
4.x until 4.x has all the features of 3.5.

> > I also think a complete previous revision should be supplied until
> > the next revision is functionally equivalent.  This will give USER
> > the choice
>
> Please read the FAQ again.  I would *love* to be able to provide just
> that, and asked developers point-blank if this is something
> possible(1) or supported.  Answer was no.
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/KDE/KDE4FAQ
>
> (1) without horrible hacks or FHS violations.

Hmmm.... The FAQ provide some information, but not exactly what I was
asking.  What I really read was, that there was not enough resources
to provide both KDE3.5 and KDE4.0 with ONLY one installed at a time.
I didn't ask to have both kde4 & kde3 installed at the same time.  Yes,
there will always be ways to shoot yourself in the foot.

I'll consider this dead since there was a conscious decision to force
this issue.  I'll look at other distros or methods or means to obtain
the features I need. so long...