Closed source modules will be banned from kernel?

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 7 19:44:16 UTC 2008

--- On Mon, 7/7/08, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> From: Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org>
> Subject: Re: Closed source modules will be banned from kernel?
> To: olivares14031 at yahoo.com, "For users of Fedora" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Cc: "Alan Cox" <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
> Date: Monday, July 7, 2008, 6:11 PM
> Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > Thank you Alan for sharing your expertise on this
> issue.  I also wonder if the kernel ever gets released
> under GPL v3.  If it does, then surely the binary stuff
> would be banned for good.
>
> GPLv2 vs GPLv3 doesn't make much of a difference.
If it did not make much of a difference, then why is Linus Torvalds very much opposed to releasing the kernel(s) in this new version?

There has to be a catch here!

I see many projects are thinking of releasing in GPL version 3, but they need to contact some authors about it.  Mplayer is one that comes to mind, I read in their site something like that.

>There is no specific
> language covering proprietary modules in either license. It
> is copyright
> holders intent and the definition of derivative work that
> matters.
> Several copyright holders have clearly established their
> intent in the
> position statement.
>
> Rahul

Regards,