smb not mounting share for specific user (SOLVED)

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Jul 7 20:18:34 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 19:34 +0000, redhatdude at bellsouth.net wrote:

> From: redhatdude at bellsouth.net
> >
> > Hello,
> I added a user with useradd. Then added the user to smb with smbpasswd -a. Then
> > restarted smb.
> Now, I can mount the samba share using my user name. However, when I try to
> mount the share with the newly created user, even though I log in and smb
> > accepts the user and password, it gives me the following error:
> > The volume "Storage" could not be mounted
> > Anybody knows what the issue is here?
> > Thanks,
> > EJ
> >
> I forgot to add the user to the valid user of the share.
----
1. it is more useful to use 'groups' instead of users...

You can set the group ownership of the share and folders inside...
   i.e. image /home/samba/files is a file share for samba users
   chgrp samba_users /home/samba/files -R
   chmod g+w,g+w /home/samba/files -R
   add @samba_users to share (valid users = @samba_users)

now all files and folders are owned by 'samba_users' group and all new
files and folders will likewise be owned by 'samba_users' group

2. You don't need to restart samba after changes to smb.conf as the
configuration file is reloaded automatically every minute (I think), but
if it makes you feel better to restart samba service...by all means.

Craig