F8 and a GPS -

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Jul 8 10:53:30 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 08 July 2008, Anne Wilson wrote:
>On Tuesday 08 July 2008 11:08:18 g wrote:
>> Anne Wilson wrote:
>> > A simple Garmin eTrex H, but I know the same program is used for very
>> > many gps systems, not only Garmin ones.
>>
>> thanks. will add it to my list to try.
>
>The eTrex has a serial output, which of course my laptop didn't have, so I
>bought a serial to usb cable - if anyone needs to know which one works I'll
>check it out.

Please do.  The list of people who have had trouble with a pl2303 based cable
forms over there, waaaaay over there.  FDTI based cables, plugged into the
exact same position in the system seem to Just Work(TM).  We either have a
funkity pl2303 driver, or the chipset doesn't quite meet usb specs.  The first
byte of a packet after a quiet period may be garbled.  heyu, the x10 program,
cannot do anything that even approaches x10 reliability (and that's an oxymoron
right there) with one of them between the cm11a and a usb port.

They also cannot be used between a UPS and a UPSD monitoring program, the
frequent "loss of communications", in the case of one such monitor program,
will cause the daemon to issue shutdown commands several times a day.
Life is too short as it is, to put up with that.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)