Dead during installation after probe of video card

Rance Hall ranceh at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 14:36:55 UTC 2008

2008/7/8 Carsten Laun-De Lellis <carsten.delellis at online.de>:
> Hi folks
>
> I ran into a problem and have no idea how to solve it.
>
> I want to install Fedora9 on the following Hardware:
>
> Motherboard: MSI K9A2 CF-F
> CPU: AMD Phenom X4 9750
> Video: Club3D HD3450, 256MB, ATI Radeon HD 3450, PCI-Express
> RAM: 4GB, DDR2 PC-8500
> HD: 3 x WD Caviar SE16 320GB SATA II 16MB, the first two drives are building
> a Raid1
>
> I want to install the F9 x86_64 image.
>
> When i start the installation everything works fine first. The modeprobe
> detects the video card and anaconda starts up a few seconds later. But when
> i hit the "Next" button on the first screen the system freezes. Only a hard
> reboot would fire it up again.
>
> Any hints or ideas?
>
> I would appreciate any help.
>
> Regards,
> Carsten Laun-De Lellis
> Dipl.-Ing. Elektrotechnik
> Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
>
> Hauptstrasse 13
> D-67705 Trippstadt
>
> Phone: +49 (6306) 992140
> Mobile: +49 (1520) 9889178
> email: carsten.delellis at online.de
> --

I have basically the same problem but with slightly different hardware.

I have an MSI board with a built via chrome9 video card.

when booting the F9 install you can pass the kernel option
"xdriver=vesa" to anaconda and it will change the way autodetection
works and will give you a graphical install in VESA mode.

This is NOT the end of your problem.  either a text mode install
works, or a graphical VESA mode install works, but when you get the
system installed and reboot then your going to have the very same
problem cause its the very same autodetect mecanism that appears to be
broken,  Ive yet to find the right kernel paramaters to allow my
system to boot graphical and not break something.

sorry I cant be of more help, but I just thought you should know you
arent the only one.