kdebluetooth: is it all there?

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 16:31:06 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-08 at 00:20 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Is anyone using kdebluetooth?
> I've been looking at it, but find the setup rather confusing.
> I'm trying to use it to connect my Fedora-9/KDE laptop
> to my Sony-Ericsson T630 mobile phone.
>
> I've been looking at the KDE Bluetooth framework Handbook.
> I'm not sure if these KDE manuals have been modified
> to take account of the specific Fedora setup,
> but I found a couple of remarks slightly strange.
>
> 1) The manual speaks of "kbluetoothd:
> The Core of the KDE Bluetooth Framework", and says
> "You can start KBluetoothD by typing kbluetoothd on the command line
> or by starting it from the K-Menu (usually System/kbluetoothd)."
>
> In fact there is no kbluetoothd on my updated Fedora-9,
> even though I have installed *bluez* and *bluetooth*.
> There is a /usr/bin/kbluetooth running.
> Is that Fedora's name for kbluetoothd ?
>
> 2) The section on setting up kdebluetooth suggests that the line
>
>         pin_helper /usr/local/lib/kdebluetooth/kbluepin;
>
> should appear in hcid.conf .
> But there is no program kbluepin anywhere on my system.
> (The kdebluetooth stuff is in /usr/lib/kdebluetooth/
> rather than /usr/local/lib/kdebluetooth/ ;
> but that is not important;
> the relevant point is that there is no kbluepin .)

Hello,

kdebluetooth in F9 is more-or-less broken. (I should know; I maintain
it :))
Upstream was more-less-dead for the past 2-3 months and I was about to
yank the plug out of it.

However, the kdebluetooth team released a new, KDE4 compatible
version... Yesterday.

I'll do my best to get it into updates-testing ASAP. (Once it passes
some sanity tests, of-course.)

Never the less, be aware that this is a 0.1 release. Expect bugs - many
of them :)

- Gilboa