F9 and MacBook Pro v2,1 audio?

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.msbb.uc.edu
Wed Jul 9 13:47:40 UTC 2008

    Has anyone had luck with audio under Fedora 9 on a MacBook Pro
v2,1 machine? I had audio working for a short while by updating all
of the alsa packages in F9 to build with the latest 1.0.17rc tarballs
and building/installing the 1.0.17rc3 alsa-drivers. This was with
the Sound settings all set to use OSS.
    I originally had the audio working with this configuration but
seemed to have messed up my alsamixer settings while experimenting.
Can any with working audio on one of these MacBook Pro v2,1 let me
know their exact alsamixer settings? Also, even when the audio was
working originally it on briefly had working desktop sound effects.
Currently, the test buttons in the Sound preference panel produces
tones but when I click the play button for any of the sound effects
in the other panel, I get no sound (with any output method).
    I must admit to being very confused about the driver situation.
I have read that the 2.6.25 kernels have issues with the snd-hda-intel
kernel driver and that alsa oss must be used. However the snd-hda-intel
kernel module still appears to be required which is puzzling.
    I've tried to find a svn or cvs for the snd-hda-intel source code
(in case newer fixes exist) but have had no luck. Thanks in advance
for any advice.
                  Jack
ps Also if one uses OSS, shouldn't something like esound be installed
to allow programs to share the audio device? I noticed that their
is a pulseaudio-esound-compat package installed. If one has to
deinstall pulseaudio itself, doesn't that mean that the actual esound
package needs to be installed instead? I did try building the
pulseaudio srpm from development under Fedora 9 and installing that.
This did at least eliminate the error alerts that appeared before when
attempting to use the Test button in the Sound preference panel with
the PulseAudio Server selected. However I could never get any of
the sound applications to produce audio that way. I assume that the
snd-hda-intel driver is being used by the PulseAudio Server and that
is non-functional for me.