[F9] laptop not booting - reinstall MBR?

Simon Andrews simon.andrews at bbsrc.ac.uk
Thu Jul 10 12:25:36 UTC 2008

Don Levey wrote:
> Phil Meyer wrote:
>  >
>  > Ah, yes a different reason for grub to fail -- the file system
> containing its files cannot be mounted.
>  >
> Interestingly, I just tried manually mounting the disk:
>
>     mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sysimage
>
> and I can get a directory listing.  So at least *part* of this is
> working.  From there, I was manually able to run 'chroot /mnt/sysimage'
> without error, and it seems to have "taken".  However, trying to run
> grub-install gave me:
>
>     /dev/sda: Not found or not a block device

Before trying anything else I'd suggest doing an fsck of your
partitions.  If the rescue environment can't mount them then maybe
something got corrupted.

Also check the parameters your /etc/fstab is using to specify your
partitions.  You should be using either labels or UUIDs to match
partitions to mountpoints.  Check that whatever you're using matches to
what's in fstab.

Simon.