Wine 1 and Office 2003?

max maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 16:10:35 UTC 2008

Mike C wrote:
> Frank Murphy <frankly3d-fedoracore <at> utvinternet.com> writes:
>
>> Have a look at Crossover Linux, if you don't wan't to run\virtualise
>> windows .
>>
>> http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/group/?app_parent=779;
>>
>> This is a report on office 2003
>
> I do use Crossover too (I have been a paid up member for about 5 years) but
> in this case I run Office XP in Crossover but want to test Office 2003 in
> wine, especially since wine has now nominally reached maturity with the
> 1.0 release.  However it seems not so easy to get at a good up to date
> howto for running office apps (which are essential for me to be compatible
> with other people I share documents with who use MS).

I don't use any office suite for more than the basics. What kind of
differences keep you using M$ Office vs. open office? Is it some missing
functionality or just compatibility issues? In my somewhat limited use
of things like spreadsheets, word-processor, etc I haven't noticed any
significant difference. I haven't had any issues opening  M$ office
files with open office but again my needs are pretty basic, maybe with
really complex spreadsheets there is a problem? I haven't tried anything
with M$Office 2007 docs.  I'd appreciate being enlightened on the topic
if anyone can spare me an explanation.

Max