How to change order of services

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Fri Jul 11 02:44:29 UTC 2008

Andrea wrote:
> Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>>
>> When you turned on wpa_supplicant with chkconfig, it creates symbolic
>> links in the various rc.d directories which begin with either S or K
>> (start or kill) and the numbers (priorities).  Just changing the file
>> in /etc/init.d doesn't change these links.  You have to use chkconfig
>> to turn them off or delete them, and then add them back again to get
>> the new links.  *OR*  you could change the file by hand, and then
>> change all of the links names to contain the new numbers by hand.  One
>> is easier than the other.  You decide which.
>>

> This is the content of rc3.d

> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 2008-07-10 21:56 S09wpa_supplicant ->
> ../init.d/wpa_supplicant
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2008-07-10 21:56 S10network -> ../init.d/network
>
> which is correct. Exactly what I want.
> I think this has been generated by "ntsysv" when I deselected and
> reselected wpa_supplicant.
> But the next time I do "yum update" for some reason wpa_supplicant will
>
> It's like there are 2 ways of configuring those services and they might
> not be synchronized.

I noticed when I upgraded to F9 (from FC6) that most of the support for
what used to be in /etc/inittab is no longer supported and a new
mechanism is in use.  Its supposed to be more flexible, but it may not
have all of its bugs smoothed out yet with its interactions with
chkconfig.  I may be grasping at straws here, but I'm looking for an
explanation for your problem.  I haven't tried to do what you are doing
in a while (ie, the last time I tried, I was still running FC6).

> I've noticed that in each file, after the info for chkconfig there is a
> "new" section:

I hadn't noticed.  I haven't looked recently, either.

> for "network":
>
> ### BEGIN INIT INFO
> # Provides: $network
> # Should-Start: iptables ip6tables
> ### END INIT INFO
>
> for "wpa_supplicant":
>
> ### BEGIN INIT INFO
> # Provides: wpa_supplicant
> # Required-Start: $local_fs messagebus
> # Required-Stop: $local_fs messagebus
> # Default-Start:
> # Default-Stop: 0 1 6
> # Short-Description: start and stop wpa_supplicant
> ### END INIT INFO
>
> I will try to add wpa_supplicant to "Required-Start" of the network.

By all means, let us know how it turns out!

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net