2,203,458 Radeon Driver Errors

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Fri Jul 11 02:51:10 UTC 2008

Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> Some kind of trouble, probably with Google Earth, caused 2,203,458
> errors similar to the following three to be put into /var/log/errors:
>
> Jul  9 19:36:53 localhost kernel: [drm:radeon_cp_idle] *ERROR* radeon_cp_idle called without lock held, held  0 owner ffff8100
> Jul  9 19:36:53 localhost kernel: [drm:radeon_cp_reset] *ERROR* radeon_cp_reset called without lock held, held  0 owner ffff81
> Jul  9 19:36:53 localhost kernel: [drm:radeon_cp_start] *ERROR* radeon_cp_start called without lock held, held  0 owner ffff81
>
> Does anyone know what happened?

GoogleEarth and fglrx have been known in the past to have not played
well with each other, and GE is a pain to use without the 3D support if
you use the radeon driver.  I have no experience with the radeonhd
driver yet (it also does not play well if you even have fglrx
installed!).  In the past the combination of GE and fglrx has been known
to freeze X on the second invocation of GE.  a Hard freeze, requiring a
reboot since all keyboard is lost.  YMMV  More recently, its been better
but still not without problems.

> As an added problem, the cron script:
> 	/usr/bin/perl -w /etc/cron.daily/0logwatch
> is taking a very long time to run.  I'm planning to edit the *ERROR*
> lines out of /var/log/messages.  Is this a good idea?

It might confuse syslog which keeps the file open and stores file
positions for where to write the next message.  You may have mixed
results doing this.  It probably best done just before logrotate
runs....but I won't swear to this.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com