firefox plugins and mpeg and wmv support

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Fri Jul 11 17:11:32 UTC 2008

>   just yesterday, i tried to make a convert of a friend by installing
> fedora 9 on the spare disk on her system, and she quickly learned
> about the notion of non-free software when she tried to view online
> mpg and wmv files, at which point i explained the notion of the GPL,
> etc, etc.
>
>   we got to the concept of mozilla plugins for firefox, whereupon we
> took a quick look under "about:plugins" and she pointed out that, as
> far as the output of that page was concerned, there was this thing
> called mozplugger which could handle various formats including
> video/mpeg, and there was an "installed" WMP plugin that could handle
> wmv files, and they were both enabled, and she said, "just from what i
> can see here, this is supposed to be the list of installed plugins,
> and it sure looks like those plugins are there and enabled, so why
> don't they work so i can play mpeg and wmv files?"
>
>   to which, because i don't have as much familiarity with multimedia
> under fedora as i'd like, i had to admit that i didn't know.  i hadn't
> installed any non-free media packages yet, so i really don't know what
> it means to look at "about:plugins" and be told that there are plugins
> that handle those formats, and they're enabled.  thoughts?  i really
> do need to read up on all the multimedia stuff.

I've got VLC running on my F9 system.

The three VLC components, in my case, are vlc-core, mozilla-vlc and vlc
(all installed from the Livna repo).

In addition, I believe I had to do a little research for the appropriate
codecs, but once installed, I'm able to play just about everything via
Firefox.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org