how come Sys -> Adm -> Display can't see the full resolution?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Jul 11 19:48:56 UTC 2008

  (by way of intro, i got to this point after pretty much trashing my
X setup trying to get googleearth to run properly, and finally putting
the bits and pieces back together enough to restore a normal X
session.  grrrrr.  we'll be getting to that little adventure shortly.)

  scenario:
	gateway mx8711 laptop
	1440x900 res display
	intel 945GM video controller

at the moment, the system really is running at full 1440x900, but only
because it's set that way via:

  System -> Preferences -> Hardware -> Screen Resolution

which is set to 1440x900 and Laptop 17".

  however, what i don't understand is why i can't select that
resolution via

  System -> Administration -> Display  (system-config-display)

which lets me go only as high as 1024x768.

  when i run s-c-d, under "Settings", i see only up to 1024x768, but
if i go over to the "Hardware" tab, i see:

  Monitor Type:  LCD Panel 1440x900
  Video Card:  Intel ... 945GM/GMS ...

so i'm confused ... the Hardware tab clearly recognizes the display,
yet the Settings tab won't let me choose that resolution.

  am i missing something?  or, given that it's working properly, do i
care?

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.