Wine 1 and Office 2003?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 20:19:21 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 6:05 PM, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 13:46 +0000, Mike C wrote:
>> one nice thing about Crossover (and Wine) is that one can run specific
>> MS Office applications without having to install a full Windows VM
>> operating system.
>
> I don't have a particular need, but just a curiosity.  My laptop came
> pre-installed with Vista, so I kept it there.  The various Windows+Linux
> things that I've read about talk about emulation, or installing Windows
> in a virtual machine.  What methods would/could make use of a
> pre-installed Windows on another partition?

I had luck booting Windows XP from a partition under F8 with
VirtualBox. It's a good idea to use a separate hardware profile so
windows doesn't re-detect all the hardware changes every time you
switch between booting it in a virtual machine and normally. Also, be
careful of mounting your windows partition and accessing it and having
the virtual machine up and accessing it at the same time.

Vista will undoubtedly require much more resources so you should have
a pretty beefy system. Dual core and 4GB ram minimum.

Richard