can i "kexec" a running f9 system to a new kernel?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sun Jul 13 14:27:30 UTC 2008

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 08:48:59 -0400 (EDT)
"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> 2) what are the *required* config options for building a new kernel
> that you can kexec *to* from the current kernel?

I don't think there is anything magic at all required on the destination
kernel (other than being able to boot in the first place :-). As far
as I know, the booted kernel isn't aware it was kexeced, it just
gets started up the same way grub would have started it (whatever
that is), you are just bypassing all the intermediate steps.

In fact I've been meaning to try it for a while as a faster way
to boot up my alternate boot partitions, but I haven't yet overcome
the laziness that has kept me from reading up enough to figure
out exactly how to use the tools :-).