Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 13 22:10:06 UTC 2008

--- On Sun, 7/13/08, Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com> wrote:

> From: Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com>
> Subject: Re: Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?
> To: "For users of Fedora" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Sunday, July 13, 2008, 1:24 PM
> On Sun, 13 Jul 2008, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> >> Wireless firmware inclusion I'd imagine.

> http://www.gnu.org/links/links.html#FreeGNULinuxDistributions

> are on the list. What's
> >
> > (please don't top post, thanks.)
> >
> >  wireless firmware inclusion?  in what way?  AFAIK,
> you still have to
> > download the broadcom drivers after the fact.  has
> that changed while i
> > wasn't looking?
>
>  	My opinion is that it's political in nature.  GNU
> doesn't like Red
> Hat and, by extension, anything that Red Hat contributes
> to.  OC, I have
> absolutely no proof nor reason for this opinion.  But
> it's a gut feel.
>
> --

BTW,

Blag is in the list/link provided:

http://www.gnu.org/links/links.html#FreeGNULinuxDistributions

It contains mp3 codecs and all of the "non-free" stuff that fedora does no include.

Q Why are they "more free" than Fedora?

A Because Fedora includes Firmware and those guys don't.

BTW,
while reading their page they quote that they do base their definitions along with Fedora's definitions.  And yes because of the firmware, Fedora is not a free distribution according to their definitions.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html

Regards,

Antonio