NetworkManager: How to set caching nameserver?

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Mon Jul 14 12:59:43 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 10:33 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-07-13 at 15:08 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> > Just to be a bit more precise, what I would like from NM
> > is error messages along the lines: "The AP you specify
> > does not accept your WEP code", or "There is no response
> > from the AP you specify", etc.
> > In the Good Old Days when memory and storage space was short
> > "Error no 18374" was acceptable.
> > Nowadays, inadequate error messages are just a sign of laziness
> > on the part of the developer.
>
> Seconded!  That's the sort of thing that has needed, not another:
>
> "An unknown error has occurred, because an error has occurred."

Somebody who knows wireless protocols better than I can correct me, but
ISTR from reading the NM mailing list that (at least for WEP), it may
not be possible to detect the reason for a failure to connect.

In the nm-applet display, one lit dot means you haven't succeeded in
connecting yet (bad key or something else) and two lit dots means you're
connected to the WAP but haven't got a DCHP address yet.  But that's
about all there is in terms of information from the WAP.
--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu