F9: Compiled and created rt2870sta.ko, but where to install?

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 01:34:10 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 17:13 -0700, Dan Thurman wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 2008-07-12 at 17:39 -0700, Dan Thurman wrote:
> > > As a side note, I wonder why this module is not included in the
> > > F8/9 repository since it is freely available?  I am assuming this
> > > is license-free?
> >
> > Two points:
> >
> > 1) Every package in the standard Fedora repos is licensed. If you mean
> > the module comes with a free software license and thus could potentially
> > be part of Fedora then of course that's something else, but it's not
> > what you said.
> >
> > 2) When you say it's "freely available" do you mean you just downloaded
> > it from the manufacturer's site *without* having to click on a license
> > agreement? It would be helpful if you gave the URL you got it from. One
> > of the keys to getting useful answers is to provide enough information
> > in the question.
> >
> I obtained the rt2870 software from:
> http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Linux.html
> and the specific file I downloaded was: RT2870USB(RT2870/RT2870)
> <http://www.ralinktech.com.tw/data/drivers/2008_0528_RT2870_Linux_STA_v1.3.0.0.tar.bz2>
>

>  From what I can tell, it is an Open-Source Organization and I
> did not see any licensing in regards to the code i.e. I do not
> think I recall having to click on any license agreements.

The fact that there's no visible license makes me think it's not Open
Source or Free within the accepted guidelines, just that they provide
source code.

> Anyway, does anyone have any helpful links that might help
> me in properly installing and setting up the Wireless software?

The README file says:

6> load driver, go to "os/linux/" directory.
    #[kernel 2.4]
    #    $/sbin/insmod rt2870sta.o
    #    $/sbin/ifconfig ra0 inet YOUR_IP up

    #[kernel 2.6]
    #    $/sbin/insmod rt2870sta.ko
    #    $/sbin/ifconfig ra0 inet YOUR_IP up

Which seems pretty clear.

poc